Vorg osx blog
| Firefox 3 is out in Beta and I decided to give it a run on my Macbook. Camino goes into CPU overdrive at random moments. Safari becomes unresponsive once per day.|
I've only had it for a short while but already it's my favourite. Firefox 2 was not much better than the other two but this is a clear step in the right direction. Hopefully no deal-killer shows up (it's still in Beta though so I'll cut it some slack).
The interface is a lot nicer, the URL completion is smarter, and the layout is clean with the important stuff one touch away. Colour me impressed.
| In point form:|
- Camino is still awesome. Why, oh, why won't they add RSS support? Jerkasaurus!
- I tried to disable AppleSpell (I'm not a 12 yr old) but every damn app kept harrassing me that it couldn't find AppleSpell so i turned it back on even though it eats ram for no good reason.
- I ditched bitrocket and went to azureus. The ability to cherrypick files within a torrent is too awesome. Any other osx clients do the same?
- iMovie is so easy to use. I've only abused it once with the grace of a knitting hippo but plan to have more fun with it as the kids get older
- iPhoto hasn't choked on 5000+ photos. Not too shabby.
- Quicksilver. Greatest thing ever. Like a command line for a GUI.
- Tinkertool let me tweak a few more things in OS X that were bugging me.
- NeoOffice is working well. Good conversion of OpenOffice.
Next up: Garageband for podcasting...
|Return of the Mac|
|I'm back... Here's what I've done to my little MacBook.|
|MacBook First Impressions|
| I got my MacBook on Friday and have been poking around in it all weekend. I had asked a few questions here and gotten some great responses (thanks, guys!).|
| I recently ordered a MacBook (the White 2.0). I was going to wait until Leopard came out but the new features don't look all that compelling (other than maybe Spaces). I thought there might also be a hardware update in the next few months but I bought the MacBook refurbished (~$250 less) and any new Macbook wouldn't hit the refurb store for a long time.|
This is my 3rd Apple product. iPod nano -> Airport Express -> MacBook. Well played, Apple. Boot Camp was the clincher...
Anyways, I've got a few questions:
1) Browser? Safari seems more than adequate but what about Firefox or Camino? I like the Firefox extensions in Windows. Does that give it a leg up on a Mac as well?
2) Torrent clients? For, um, sharing... improv tips...
3) How much space on the HD does OS X take up? Any useless apps that are typically uninstalled to save space?
I'm sure there will be more to come. Any advice or tips to a Mac n00b are welcome. If I remember, I'll post my impressions.
Vorg — Tag Cloud
Vorg osx RSS feed
Latest PhotoQuote of Now:Computer GamesFriends of VorgPopular Posts